Friday, August 07, 2009

A Personal Journey With The Guaguancó: Prelude

Rumba Guaguancó has long been an aspiration of mine, both to the drumming and its dancing. You could say that they're one and the same thing, when you get right down to it.

Although I've been able to play the structural Havana and Matanzas variants for several years, the subtleties of the quinto drum have yet eluded me - something I've put down to not having enough depth of experience in its Cuban cultural context. What's been clear for a while is the need to strengthen my ability to dance it and make better sense physically of the accents and phrasing; to inform my hands on skin.

A couple of guaguancó dance workshops were only enough to add some dimension to my salsa, helping me keep up with a Cuban rumbera absolutely born to the art currently living in Sheffield (I have to leave out the vacunaos, which the doormen would very much misconstrue). The only regular lessons nearby are with Santiago-born Guillermo in York, at times which I'd have to clone myself to make.

But I knew that the dream of the guaguancó would only realise itself through a concerted effort to dance it. So I decided on learning from recorded sources, mainly out of necessity but also as a golden opportunity to assess currently:
  1. the range, distribution, quantity and quality of material available - this would inform the strategic direction of the website;
  2. the status of my teaching skills as applied to myself - primarily observation and interpretation;
  3. my learning abilities - speed of assimilation, adaptability, synthesis, key areas of immediate development; and
  4. my physical abilities - particularly fundamentals of movement from previous training which might be negatively prejudicial to rumba.
I've opted for the material from José Alfredo Carrión's rumba DVDs to establish my foundation because:
  • it offers a broad base of understanding of Cuban rumba by addressing both yambú and guaguancó;
  • the performers (from Ballet Folklórico Cutumba) and producers (Academy of Cuban Folklore & Dance) deliver with a credible authenticity, free from overt marketing intent;
  • the pedagogy favours qualitative learning over quantitative with deliberate pacing;
  • the structure is logical and preplanned;
  • demonstrations incorporate multiple angles where necessary;
  • explanations are pre-scripted, concise and succinct; and
  • musicians are present with the dancers throughout.
It's easy to recognise the voice of a seasoned educator.

I may not be sure how this journey will go, but one thing is for certain - it's time it was begun.

José Alfredo Carrión's rumba DVD is also available from Descarga.com
http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/21627.20

Loo Yeo

1 comment:

  1. We have spent time training with Jose personally in the Orisha dances. He is an amazing instructor and about as authentic as the Cuban soil itself.

    We take a less choreographical more exploratory approach to teaching the Guaguanco. But nontheless, for DVD training, it's great!

    It's not Guarapanchga style stuff, just straight up real Guaguanco. As one of our students have said, "the kind that reaches out and grabs something"

    E

    ReplyDelete