- Dan has moved from rhythm guitar to timbales and is doing a fine job;
- Mike joined us just a couple of months ago, and is a great trombonist whose sense of humour comes across when he plays;
- Nathan has emerged from behind the timbales to take on vocals (lead and backing) and hand percussion;
- Wib joined us as a direct result from the Donut gig and is our new conguero;
- I've also stepped out from behind the congas and am fulfilling the same role as Nathan.
- Dan and Wib have an understanding of each other's musicianship based on years of playing live together;
- Mike brings a wealth of experience of playing soul, jazz and blues which is something we very much needed;
- there is more opportunity for interaction in the melodic arragements, which augments the montuno section of our songs;
- the rhythmic 'thickness' of our sound has been increased with both Nathan and I playing hand percussion;
- having two lead singers with different vocal ranges makes a wider range of songs possible;
- we have a high level of redundancy, meaning we can take on more gigs; and
- (selfishly) I can have a rest from singing during a set.
Okay, as with any change in line-up, there is a period of instability. But even with that in mind and based on last night's performance, there's plenty of potential to be realised in this new line-up.