Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Favela Rising

Yesterday was a public holiday (we call them Bank Holidays here in the UK; apparently the monkier was designed to side-step parlimentary resistance).

In between the labour pains I'm experiencing over the gestation of the piece on Puerto Rican salsa, I took to watching the film "Favela Rising". I came to it thinking that as a piece of commentary, it would bear some similarity to salsa's rise as music of the underclasses.

I got a lot more than I bargained for.

I don't think anything I could write would do it justice. Instead I encourage you to visit the site and maybe read the director's statement to help you make up your mind; that you need to experience this film. Seldom has a film moved me to tears. As a person who plays music, it's important to be reminded of the potential significance of I do.

©Copyright 2005 www.favelarising.com All Rights Acknowledged.

Yes it is violent. The violence, the loss, and the potential to have your life taken away in an instant without any reason whatsoever is integral to the film. And it's real.

For those of you who normally avoid such things, and particularly if you're a musician, forgive the imperative, swallow the bitter pill, and watch it.

It'll hurt you, but in a good way.

Loo

No comments:

Post a Comment